|Melody the mercenary|
|Class||Shaman -> Summoner|
|Appearances||Shining the Holy Ark|
Melody is a young shaman and one of the three foremost heroes of Shining the Holy Ark. She and her childhood friend Forte form a mercenary team, but it is Melody who becomes the host for an Innovator spirit and is called upon to save Enrich from the Vandal Rilix.
Background[edit | edit source]
According to the instruction manual for the Japanese version of Shining the Holy Ark:
- "Forte's partner and childhood friend, she is skilled in recovery and support magic that call for summoning spirits. She hails from Resent, of which it is said that those born there receive mysterious powers; in her case, she has the power of using magic through communicating with spirits mentally, and sensing danger." (Translation by Atolm of the Shining Force Central boards)
Melody and Forte became a mercenary team at a young age, and acquired a strong reputation in a fairly short time. They are eventually hired by the king of Enrich himself to take down the ninja Rodi. Perhaps uncertain of their ability to handle him themselves, they bring another mercenary, Arthur, in on the job.
When the three mercenaries confront Rodi, however, a cave-in caused by three Spirits' crash landing leaves them all seriously injured. The Spirits use Melody, Arthur and Rodi as host bodies, in turn helping them recover from their injuries. Forte, however, is possessed by an evil spirit. Since Rodi has lost his memory, the three set aside their differences and set out to save Forte.
Personality[edit | edit source]
On the surface, Melody has a very energetic and temperamental personality. She seems easily offended and readily disposed to retaliate with sharp words and sarcasm. She also deliberately projects an arrogant and condescending attitude in an obvious attempt to hide her inexperience.
However, when her circumstances are drastically changed by the spirits' crash landing in Desire Mine, Melody's affected disdain for other people vanishes. She willingly admits her own failings and insecurities, and though she still readily turns to anger, she does so only in a defensive manner and never tries to antagonize others. Moreover, more positive qualities surface. She allows herself to become close to people very quickly, expressing heartfelt concern for Basso after only a few hours adventuring with him. Though not naturally empathetic, she is wholeheartedly warm and compassionate, and always shows a desire to help her friends when she senses something is wrong.
In terms of mannerisms, Melody is upbeat and spunky, but her true nature is deeper. Her first instinct is usually to be defensive, but she is quick to offer friendship, and the friendship she offers is the most sincere sort.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Melody learns Heal and Raise much faster than Arthur or Akane and slightly faster than Lisa, and will usually have more MP than any of them as well. Thus, she will naturally be your primary healer for the first half of the game and will still be the expert at healing individual characters in the second half, so it is easy to start thinking of her as strictly a healer. However, Melody has several other assets that cannot be ignored if you are to perfect your strategy.
Melody has an assortment of offensive spells which can be very effective in dealing with large groups of enemies. One should not hesitate to use her regular attack, either; though it does little damage, it often has pleasing side effects.
In longer battles, Restore(learned only by Melody) and Support can be extremely helpful. Always cast Restore on at least one character at the start of a long boss fight; not only does it save your healers a few turns and act as a sort of insurance against unexpected damage, but it usually ends up restoring more HP per MP than other healing spells. Support is good protection against physical attacks. Keep in mind that Support spells stack, and that while level 2 affects more characters, it offers less of a boost to each character than level 1.
Powers & Magic[edit | edit source]
If killed in battle, Melody is instantly revived with 1 HP once the battle is finished. In addition, she learns the following spells:
- Level 1 - already learned
- Level 2 - acquires at level 6
- Level 3 - acquires at level 3 promoted or at level 24 unpromoted
- Level 4 - acquires at level 9 promoted or at level 31 unpromoted
- Level 1 - acquires at level 3
- Level 2 - acquires at level 8
- Level 3 - acquires at level 16
- Level 4 - acquires at level 6 promoted or at level 31 unpromoted
- Level 1 - acquires at level 7
- Level 2 - acquires at level 14
- Level 1 - acquires at level 11
- Level 2 - acquires at level 18
- Level 1 - acquires at level 12
- Level 2 - acquires at level 20
- Level 3 - acquires at level 11 promoted or at level 34 unpromoted
- Level 4 - acquires at level 16 promoted
- Level 1 - acquires at level 2 promoted
- Level 2 - acquires at level 14 promoted
- Level 1 - acquires at level 15 promoted
- Level 2 - acquires at level 19 promoted
- Level 3 - acquires at level 23 promoted
- Level 4 - acquires at level 27 promoted
- Level 1 - learns upon completion of Ceremony of Evolution
- Level 2 - acquires at level 21 promoted
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Outside Desire Mine
- soldier: "Uh, no... I meant he's in there alone."
- Melody: "What! Alone?!? We could have taken care of this by ourselves! Why did we need to bring him?" (referring to Arthur)
- In the Forest of Confusion
- Melody: "You're the halfling from yesterday, aren't you? You make us go through all that hassle, then don't even show your face? How rude!"
- In Galm's Mansion
- Melody: "We came here to see the master of the mansion at Sabato's request. Our destiny begins here. No matter what obstacles may be in our way, we will not retreat. We can only move forward!"
- Melody: "This is farewell. But... I feel uneasy. I've got a bad feeling about the future... If anything happens... Come see us..."
- Basso: "What's wrong, Melody? You are usually so perky... and yet here you are saying things with such a serious look..."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- External link