|Shining Resonance Refrain|
|Character Designer(s)||Tony Taka (Albion Works)|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows|
|PS4 Japan: March 29, 2018|
NSW Japan: July 12, 2018
North America: July 10, 2018
Shining Resonance Refrain is a remaster of Shining Resonance that launched for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows. Unlike the Japanese-only release of Shining Resonance, Refrain was released worldwide and the first game to be on an Xbox console.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The most basic form of offense is the normal attack. By performing normal attacks consecutively, characters will unleash a series of blows. Attacks consume AP (Action Points), displayed as a green ring around characters. AP recovers gradually over time.
- By continuously striking enemies with Break and Force Attacks, players can Break their defenses, leaving them incapacitated for a set amount of time. While the enemy is in the Broken state, they're extremely vulnerable, so it's a chance to deal high damage.
- Force abilities are moves that use MP instead of AP, allowing characters to perform powerful attacks, magic, and special maneuvers. MP rises by landing hits on enemies. AP also recovers while performing a Force move, so combine attacks, Break Attacks, and Force moves.
- Performing Rune Songs grant a party special buffs. In order to perform, players need to use the B.A.N.D. system. To perform a B.A.N.D. session, players need to build the BPM (Battle Performance Mana) meter on the left side of the screen. The BPM meter increases whenever an attack connects, stacking up to three bars. Players choose who will act as the Center of the B.A.N.D. session. Depending on who's leading the performance, the song's effect may change.
- Yuma Ilburn can transform into a powerful dragon at any point during battle; if he pushes himself too far, he might go berserk.
- As the game progresses, players will be able to assume a more powerful form of the Shining Dragon, increasing their entire party's potential in battle. Claws are the primary weapon in Limited Form, but in Awakened Form, breath attacks become the main source of damage. When the BPM gauge runs out, players can use D. Unison, a powerful attack that strikes all enemies.
- As battles grow more and more difficult, Yuma and the Dragoneers can power up their Armonics in various ways. One of these methods is through Tuning. Tunings come in a variety of of types. Some strengthen physical strikes, while others power up magic. Other than increasing basic stats, some Tunings will have extra effects, such as increasing maximum MP or giving characters elemental attributes.
- Armonics can be powered up by placing Aspect Pieces in the slots of the Tuning. The effects of the Aspects range from simple stat boosts to high-risk, high-return trade-offs. The number of slots available varies by Tuning.
- Refrain Mode: An alternate story where players can play with characters not available in the default mode, Excella and Jinas.
- Death and Game Over: If any of your characters' HP reaches zero, that character dies. You can revive them, but if all of your party members' HP hits zero, it's game over. You can then opt to load a save and retry, or return to the title screen.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Agnum Bulletheart
- Beatrice Irma
- Captain Burroughs
- Ette le Sheila
- Excella Noa Aura
- Georg Zalbard
- Jenius Aeon
- Joachim Rubens
- King Albert
- Kirika Towa Alma
- Lestin Serra Alma
- Rinna Mayfield
- Sonia Blanche
- Yuma Ilburn
- Zest Graham
Packaging Artwork[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
|Protagonists||Yuma Ilburn • Sonia Blanche • Kirika Towa Alma • Agnum Bulletheart • Rinna Mayfield • Lestin Serra Alma • Marion Le Sheila|
|Downloadable Content||Excella Noa Aura • Jenius Aeon|
|Antagonists||Georg Zalbard • Zest Graham • Beatrice Irma • Joachim Rubens • Ette|
|Dragons||Trishula • Gae Bulg • Gungnir|
|Other||Fromage Blanc • King Albert • Captain Barrows|
|Database||Gameplay||Downloadable Content • Items • Translations|
|Terms||Armonics • Dragoner • Drag Machina • Song Maiden|
|Shining Force Series|
|Shining Series||Main Games||Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention • Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing • Shining Force III|
|Side Games||Shining in the Darkness • Shining Force Gaiden • Shining Force Gaiden II • Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict • Shining Wisdom • Shining the Holy Ark|
|Remakes||Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon • Shining Force CD|
|Tony Taka Series||Main Games||Shining Tears • Shining Wind • Shining Hearts • Shining Blade • Shining Resonance|
|Other Shining series||Main Games||Shining Force Feather • Shining Ark • Shining Soul • Shining Soul • Shining Force Neo • Shining Force EXA|