|This article has been copied from Wikipedia. Please change it to fit our guidelines.|
|This article is missing an appropriate image. Feel free to upload one.|
|Shining Tears X Wind|
|Network(s)||Chiba TV, Hiroshima Home TV, Tokyo MX TV, TV Saitama|
|Number of Episodes||13|
|Original Run||April 6, 2007 – June 29, 2007|
Shining Tears X Wind is an animated TV series based on the games Shining Tears and Shining Wind. It presents an adapted version of Shining Wind's story, seen through Souma's perspective. The series started airing only in Japan on April 6, 2007, and finished airing on June 29, 2007, running a total of 13 weekly episodes, each occupying a half-hour time slot. The opening and ending themes are the same as those in the game Shining Tears.
A group of students from St. Luminous College are investigating the mysterious disappearances that are happening around Tatsumi Town. One student, who was researching a book entitled 'End Earth', which describes an alternate world, also mysteriously disappears. As Mao, a being from the other world, enters their world in order to look for her friend, Zero, she teams up with Souma and Kureha in order to battle a monster who also came to their world. Just when things seem to go their way, an accident teleports Souma and Kureha into another world. To make things more complicated, Zero appears to the two stating that he will now entrust the world to Souma. As they travel this new world, they encounter familiar friends and enemies, and they begin to realize that getting back to their own world is harder than they previously thought.
In End Earth, a war begins surrounding a legendary item called "The Holy Grail". Zero later tells Souma that the world will end if Zeroboros, the guardian of time and space, awakens. This guardian will use whoever wins the war as a body.
|#||Episode Title||Japanese Title||Original Air Date|
|1||"Today X The Other World"||"Gendai Kurosu i Sekai" (現代×異世界)||April 6, 2007|
|2||"Heart X Sword"||"Kokoro Kurosu Ken" (心×剣)||April 13, 2007|
|3||"Friend X Love"||"Tomo Kurosu Koi" (友×恋)||April 20, 2007|
|4||"Mission X Companion"||"Shimei Kurosu Nakama" (使命×仲間)||April 27, 2007|
|5||"Elf X Elf"||"Yousei Kurosu Yousei" (妖精×妖精)||May 4, 2007|
|6||"Hot Sand X Ice and Snow"||"Nessa Kurosu Hyousetsu" (熱砂×氷雪)||May 11, 2007|
|7||"Wind X Tears"||"Kaze Kurosu Namida" (風×涙)||May 18, 2007|
|8||"Weissritter X Zero"||"Shiro Kishi Kurosu Rei" (白騎士×零)||May 25, 2007|
|9||"Despair X Hope"||"Zetsubou Kurosu Kibou" (絶望×希望)||June 1, 2007|
|10||"Reunion X Bond"||"Saikai Kurosu Kizuna" (再会×絆)||June 8, 2007|
|11||"Spirit X Witch"||"Seirei Kurosu Majo" (精霊×魔女)||June 15, 2007|
|12||"Light X Darkness"||"Hikari Kurosu Yami" (光×闇)||June 22, 2007|
|13||"World X Heart"||"Sekai Kurosu Kokoro" (世界×心)||June 29, 2007|
Opening Theme: "Shining Tears"
- Lyrics by: Natsuko Kondo
- Composition and arrangement by: Gou Takahashi
- Song by: Souichiro Hoshi
Ending Theme: "Light's Silhouette" (光のシルエット, Hikari no Shiruetto)\
- Lyrics by: Yurie Kokubu
- Composition and arrangement by: Masaki Iwamoto
- Song by: Souichiro Hoshi
- Trade Union Kingdom: Seiran
- Saint Philias Kingdom
- Astraia (the Elf Kingdom)
- Arms Alchemy Empire: Baelgard
Real World (Elde)
- Souma Akizuki
- An athletic student who, along with Kureha, was transported to the dream continent, End Earth. Souma is enamored of Kureha, despite knowing that she has feelings for Kiriya. He confesses his affection for her shortly before being transported to the other world. After seeing Kureha presumably die, he was able to pull out a legendary sword from her body. Souma turns out to be a 'Soul Blader', a person that can form a sword from the heart of any person he shares similar emotions with. Later, after Souma and Kureha meet up with Kiriya and Seena, he departs from the group, leaving Kiriya and Seena to take care of Kureha, realizing that she did not feel the same way about him.
- When Souma and Kureha were between dimensions, they were greeted by Zero, who entrusted Souma with guarding the world from then on. After his second meeting with Zero, he receives one of the Twin Dragon Rings, and begins to see the world in a whole new perspective. His attitude also shifts from a rash and emotional state, to having a calm and understanding demeanor. Souma becomes a sort of mediator, not taking any sides, and travels with Lazarus, Ryuna, Elwyn, and Blanc Neige; in his mission to protect and save the world. After expressing his desire to join Weissritter, he is nominated as its proxy leader. In the end, after seeing Mao's sad and tearful face, he realizes her feelings for him. Souma decides to stay with Mao and Weissritter.
- Touka Kureha
- A student who also happens to work at a shrine as a miko, or shinto priestess. Kureha is skilled in the art of archery, or kyūdō. She was transported to End Earth with Souma after they helped Mao defeat a monster. Upon their arrival, she was attacked by monsters but was revealed to be unscathed after Souma pulled out a sword from her body, the Spirit Sword Snow Moon Flower. After Kiriya and Souma's fight, she joins Kiriya and the other Luminous Knights. Kiriya can also draw a sword from her, the Spirit Sword Blazing Sunlight.
- Kureha has feelings for Kiriya, but never expresses them to him. In the end, she returns to her own world, together with Kiriya and Seena.
- Kaito Kiriya
- A quiet and shy student who receives a message from an elven woman from End Earth. When he tells his friends, the group dismisses the message as they believe it to only be a dream. Kiriya is a skilled swordsman; ranging from kendo to fencing. It is said that no one could beat him if he was to fight seriously. The cherry blossom of their college transports him and Seena to End Earth right after Souma and Kureha, taking the entire building as well. He becomes the knight for an independent mercenary group called the 'Luminous Knights', which is started by Seena.
- Like Souma, Kiriya is a Soul Blader, who uses Seena's "heart" as a sword. Kiriya is completely oblivious to Kureha's feelings for him. He later forms a close bond with Xecty, who is revealed to be an artificial recreation of the Elven Queen. Until Xecty's death, he was confident in his mission to have Saionji admit defeat. Since the start of the war, Kiriya's attitude shifted from shy and quiet to a rash and emotional state, who sees that fighting is the only way to win, the opposite of Souma's behavior change.
- He is later revealed to hold Souma's Holy Grail, Souma's Ultimate Soul Blade. The one who holds his Holy Grail is Xecty. He chooses to return to his own world, together with Kureha and Seena.
- Kanon Sheena
- A member of the Student Council just like the other characters who along with Kiriya, is transported to End Earth shortly after Kureha and Souma. Upon their arrival, Seena and Kiriya form an independent mercenary group called the Luminous Knights; with Seena as the leader. She lets Kiriya use her heart as a sword, the Gun Sword Blade Cannon. Seena is also very skilled in fencing.
- In the end, she returns to her own world, together with Kiriya and Kureha.
- Haruto Saionji
- An heir to a rich family and Student Council President. Along with Hiruda, he is transported to End Earth before the other main characters, and becomes the Emperor of Baelgard, going by the name "Traihard".
- Like Souma and Kiriya, he is a Soul Blader, and draws swords from Baelgard's four guardians, including Reia Hiruda. Seeing Soul Bladers as "chosen ones", he offers Kiriya and Souma to join him in his conquest of End Earth, under the pretense that he is "saving" it from darkness. His plans are thwarted by Killrain's release of dark energy. After Hiruda reverts to her normal self, she rescues Saionji when he is linked to the dark tower. It is then that Saionji realizes her true feelings for him, and in return seems to develop feelings for her also, resulting in him being able to draw his Holy Grail from her.
- In the end, he decides to stay in End Earth, together with Hiruda, Xecty, and Jin-Crow in Baelgard, to restore the forest to its former glory. Saionji is an extremely talented swordsman; he was capable of defeating Kiriya in a duel with normal swords.
- Reia Hiruda
- A seemingly innocent and quiet girl, who is devoted to Saionji. She found the book that allows herself and Saionji to be brought into End Earth. Though she wants to follow him, she does not want to be engulfed in darkness, so she develops a dark second personality, one that will do all the things that she does not want to. She becomes one of Baelgard's four guardians, the Hellfire Alchemist, Hildareia. Her alter ego prefers the darkside, and even betrays Saionji by siding with Killrain after he takes over the dark elven army. She often does experiments on many elves, turning them into mindless soldiers for Baelgard. Her dark soul blade is called Mythical Beast Sword Mysteltain. Destroying the evil personality's soul blade is the only way to bring back the original Reia Hiruda.
- The good personality contains Saionji's Holy Grail, Saionji's Ultimate Soul Blade, which was instrumental in defeating Er Fahren. She decides to stay in End Earth, together with Saionji, Xecty, and Jin-Crow in Baelgard, to restore the forest to its former glory.
Mercenary Knighthood Weissritter
- Zero is Xion, or what is left of his soul. His angelic wings represent the two entities inside his body, the black one resembles Zeroboros, the white one resembles what is left of Xion. It seems he went to Elde to find someone able to replace him as Guardian of End Earth. He chooses Souma, and after meeting him between worlds, states that he now 'entrusts' the world to him. He gave Souma one of the Twin Dragon Rings, telling him to use it to see the true world.
- He keeps running from Mao, as some time before, he unwillingly killed Ryuna and Lazarus. It was Mao's calling that made him fight Zeroboros' possession, turning one of the black wings white, thus leaving a piece of Xion's soul. He accepted himself as no longer human, and revived Ryuna and Lazarus using the capsules in the Sea Dragon King Ruins.
- He decides to leave the group and entrust Souma with protecting the world in his place.
- A quarter-beast; she has a pair of cat-like ears. She is also the Princess of Bestia. She traveled to Souma's world looking for Zero. In the process, she accidentally sent Souma and Kureha into her world. She is also the true leader of Weissritter. Souma is able to draw a soul blade with fire properties from her, the Beast King Sword Lion King's Flame Dance. Her particular soul blade becomes Souma's preferred soul blade. She cries when Souma wants to leave, which moves him and he decides to stay with her in End Earth.
- Acknowledged Zero's intentions, a priestess of Etwarl Shrine who believes in Souma. Zeroboros lived inside her, so in order to stop him, she committed suicide by throwing herself into Xion's sword. She was later resurrected by Zero, along with Lazarus. Souma is able to pull a broadsword type soul blade from her called Holy Dragon Sword Heavenly Cloud Bush; it has the power to paralyze its enemies with a blinding light.
- A Dragonian tribesman, who swore to protect Souma. He is also a friend to Ryuna, who acknowledged Zero's intentions. He was killed by Xion when he got possessed by Zeroboros, but was later resurrected by Zero, along with Ryuna. Souma is able to draw an enormous single-bladed sword from him called Holy Dragon Blade Solid Outrage.
- Note: Though Japanese versions translated the name as Elwing, the official English translation became Elwyn.
- An old friend of Zero, and also the princess of Fontina. Elwyn is now traveling with Souma, and had mentioned that she would kill Zero if he abuses his powers. Souma is able to draw a soul blade with lightning properties from her, the Wind Thunder Sword Blitzbringer.
- Blanc Neige
- An old friend of Zero and an ice sorceress. She is also the princess of Runevale. She is often cold toward others. Souma is able to draw a soul blade with ice and snow properties from her, the Ice Snow Sword Glass-Diamond.
- For unexplained reasons, the remaining members of Weisritter, Pios, Volg, Cupido and Keiner, do not appear in the anime. According to Volg's ending in Shining Tears, Volg has most likely retired.
- Clalaclan Philias - Princess and Priestess of Philias' Tower of the Sun.
- Caris Philias - Prince of Philias, thus the future king, and Clalaclan's younger brother. He was victim of a curse by Shumari, which made him very sick. He was later healed by Houmei and becomes the king of Philias in the last episode.
- Raidel - Priest of Seiran.
- Rouen - The King of Seiran and ex-captain of a pirate crew, but his great conviction and good heart made him win the trust of the beastmen. In the last episode, he becomes a pirate captain again, leaving the throne to Hyouun. In Shining Wind, he joins Weissritter instead.
- Shumari - Foxling Chancellor of Seiran who has nine tails. He was responsible for the assassination of Astraea's queen and of the curse bestowed upon Caris, but is later killed by Baelgard's moving fortress 'Eisen Sarg'.
- Raihi - One of Seiran's five generals. A tiger beast-warrior who is a good friend of Hyouun and prideful of his warrior skills.
- Basou - One of Seiran's five generals. A quiet centaurian warrior who acts as King Rouen's scout.
- Enu - A birdman warrior and one of Seiran's five generals.
- Kouryu - One of Seiran's five generals. A bow-wielding turtle-like warrior. When sober, he is very understanding, but fights others without reason whenever he is drunk.
- Hyoun - One of Seiran's five generals. He was ordered to watch over Houmei. He is unofficially considered part of the Luminous Knights due to his involvement with Houmei who is revealed to be his older sister. He has fallen in love with human girls, particularly Kureha and Seena, but he has to keep these feelings to himself due to Houmei's intervention. In the last episode, he becomes the king of Seiran.
- Houmei - The Priestess of Seiran's Tower of Rain Water who is actually 3000 years old. Centuries ago, she tried to destroy the world. Due to that, she was imprisoned in the forbidden lands of Konron. She later joined the 'Luminous Knights' as their tactician. (In the game, she is actually of the same dragon race as Hyouun although doesn't look like it. An event in the game explains this connection. In the anime, she is referred to as an elf.)
- Xecty - One of Baelgard's four guardians, an artificial life-form made by Hiruda, using an ancient weapon as base. Hiruda made her body using Celestia's cells, but then she ended up getting infected by the darkness and Hiruda created a dark matter to absorb the forces of darkness, preventing her from further infection. During a duel with Kiriya, an earthquake causes the two to fall into a cavern. Kiriya talks with Xecty and forms a close bond with her. Later, during the fight between Kiriya and Saionji, she gets in the middle and is stabbed by Saionji, sacrificing her life in order to stop the war. Her spirit then joins the wind, as a way to protect both. She is later revived by one of the pods from the Sea Dragon King Ruins, and joins the Luminous Knights. She also becomes the priestess of Astraea's Tower of the Wind. Her soul blade is called Sword of Emperors Excelion. She also contains Kiriya's Holy Grail, being drawn from her Kiriya's Ultimate Soul Blade. She decides to stay together with Saionji, Hiruda, and Jin-Crow in Baelgard, to restore the forest to its former glory.
- Zeed - One of Baelgard's four guardians, an immortal due to a contract with his demon sword. He is in fact Philias' late prince, Leon, now under the control of his demon sword. His soul blade is called Holy Armor Sword Balmunc, and the sword and armor are similar to the ones used by Leon. He was later defeated by Souma, resulting in Leon's spirit becoming free from the demon sword's control.
- Killrain - One of Baelgard's four guardians, an elf who was infected by the darkness. Though he is the brother of Astraea's queen, Celestia, he kept Xecty from knowing her true origins. After Xecty's death, he released a powerful blast which covered nearly all of Liberia in an icy blizzard. His anger prompted him to blame all living souls, and after controlling the dark elven army of Baelgard, he plans to destroy everything. After Souma, Kiriya, and Saionji use the combined powers of their Holy Grails, his soul is liberated. Together with his sister Celestia, he decides to stay behind and be sealed in the other dimension.
His soul blade is called Demon Gun Sword Gallatin, a giant sword able to shoot laser beams. Unlike the others, Killrain himself transforms into a giant sword, rather than having the sword drawn from within him.
- Jin-Crow - A mysterious birdman who is a friend to Killrain, before the latter was infected by dark energy. He can still be seen at Killrain's side, but he also searches for a way to help his friend overcome the darkness. He gives Kiriya the location of the ancient weapons, and later escorts Kiriya's group to Bestia. In the past, he, Killrain, and Leon, Clalaclan's older brother, swore peace to the countries, but then Shumari's plot ruined their plans. He decides to become Xecty's protector. Together with Saionji, Hiruda, and Xecty, they are busy restoring the forest to its former glory.
- 'The Eternal Forest's Chanting' - She is a mysterious elven girl who spoke to Kiriya through dreams. She is later revealed to be the spirit of Celestia, the elven queen of Astraea, whose cells were used to create Xecty. With her help, Xecty becomes the priestess of Astraea's Tower of the Wind. She decides to be with her brother, the soul of the liberated Killrain, and they are sealed together in the other dimension.
- Lassi - A strange little fellow who guided Souma and Elwyn through an icy blizzard. He guided the group to Celestia through a secret opening in the forest to the north of Philias. There, he is revealed to be the Spirit King of the Wind. He has an affinity towards elves who can strangely understand him. After Celestia, he joins Xecty in Baelgard, to restore the forest to its former glory.
- Original Work: Sega
- Director: Hiroshi Watanabe
- Series Composition: Hiro Masaki
- Screenplay: Hiro Masaki
- Music: Kei Haneoka
- Original Concept: Tsuyoshi Sawada
- Original Character Design: Tony Taka
- Character Design: Mariko Emori, Yukiko Ban
- Art Director: Michiyo Miki
- Director of Photography: Shinya Kondou
- Producer: Masahiro Nakayama
- Animation Producer: Masahiro Toyosumi
- Color Setting: Shinji Matsumoto
- Editing: Masahiro Matsumura
- Music Director: Fumiko Harada
- Planning: Tsuyoshi Sawada
- Sound Director: Ayako Misawa
- Animation Company: Studio Deen
- Shining Tears X Wind is the first Shining series to debut in movie or television format.